We have the experience and the equipment to prepare any site for turfing from hand levelling courtyards to 3D modelled sports surfaces.
OUR TEAM AND RESOURCES INCLUDE:
- A team of Project Managers, landscapers and turf installers.
- Bobcats and Graders
- Laser Buckets
- Top Soils and Turf Sands- Custom Blends available
LAWN PREPARATION IS A KEY ASPECT OF YOUR NEW TURF INSTALLATION, HERE ARE THE KEY PROCESSES THAT YOU NEED TO FOLLOW:
Choosing the right turf to install is only one step towards having a fantastic lawn – preparing the area properly before laying your turf ensures a good foundation to promote healthy lawn growth.
The key to good lawn preparation is to be thorough and allow enough time before you lay your new grass. Here’s our guide to effective turf preparation:
- Spray out and remove all weeds and old grasses form your lawn: Any existing grass or weeds will have to be cleared before you put your new turf down. Use a weed killer solution like Roundup a couple of weeks prior if possible – give it time to work before disturbing the soil any further
- Excavate and remove any rubble and debris from the area. Cultivate the soil to a depth of about 30 centimetres to ensure the topsoil isn’t compacted. Incorporate any new soil that’s needed, thoroughly mixing it with the existing soil
- Level and grade the area as accurately as you can. Try to be aware of potential drainage issues, and level accordingly. Water gently but thoroughly until your lawn arrives, ready for installation.
- Add your pre-planting fertiliser and water crystals – Hancey’s Turf has a selection of fertilisers appropriate for different turf varieties
- Install your turf, lay it like a brick work pattern.
- Make sure you get water on to it immediately
- Roll with a water filled roller
- Keep the water up to it for 2 weeks, make sure the roots stay moist
Your lawn preparation is best done in stages and can be time consuming, but it pays off. Investing the time into these steps can reduce the time it takes for your new grass to get established, making it less susceptible to adverse conditions in those early stages.
If you don’t have the resources for proper turf preparation, give Hancey’s Turf a call today on 1800 761 334 – our specialist team has access to bobcats, graders and other equipment necessary for the job.